Welcome to Sifnos Island, Greece
Sifnos is one of the most beautiful islands in the Cyclades and attracts high-quality tourism. The island is 3 to 6 hours from Piraeus, depending on the type of ship. The port of Sifnos Kamares are separated about 6 km from the capital Apollonia, which takes its name from the god Apollo. Built amphitheatrically, 3 hills, and is the capital of the island in 1836. Apollonia is the commercial and administrative center of the island's largest city.
The most beautiful part of Sifnos is the Castle, a village 3 km east of Apollonias is built on top of a steep cliff in the eastern part of the island and offers outstanding panoramic views over the sea. The castle has been inhabited since ancient times until today and Herodotus calls it "asty, ie city. The first series of the consecutive two and three homes in a medieval outer wall. Here lived the popular class, while the internal line that is at the top of the castle resided the aristocratic class, to be safer from pirate raids.
Search for cheap hotels, rooms, apartments, studios in Sifnos through Sifnos Hotels
The lighthouse is considered the safest harbor on the island and is located southeast of Sifnos. It was the official port in 1883. There are restaurants and rooms. On the western edge of the bay are preserved residues from ore loading equipment on ships for transport and processing in Lavrion.
Sifnos has a rich history. In ancient times existed for gold and silver mines and the famous "Stone Sifnos, Sifnos, which are traded reaping a huge profit. In the 2nd millennium, the island had apoikisthei from Minoan Crete and after the destruction of the Minoan civilization from the eruption of Santorini, received the sovereignty of the Mycenaeans.
The discovery of gold on the island in the 8th century BC resulted in unique prosperity Sifnos, which was rebuilt and became the commercial center of Aegean. In the 5th century BC Sifnos was a member of the Greek alliance that fought the Persians at Marathon, Salamis and Plataea, and then was a member of the Athenian Alliance.
Followed by the Roman and Byzantine rule in the region of Greece, until 1204, when the Cyclades were obtained by the Venetians and was divided into duchies and varoneies, under the leadership of various knights from Italy and Spain.
In 1537 the Venetians were expelled from the Aegean Sea by the Ottoman fleet and the islands thereafter suffered from frequent pirate attacks, leading to deforestation. In 1830 the island received the fledgling Greek state.
Today, the income of residents of Sifnos mainly on fishing, pottery and tourism is growing rapidly.
* The village of Castle.
* The monastery Chrysopigi.
* The pottery workshops.
* The traditional sweets of the island.
* Walk in Artemona afternoon.
* Navigate the streets of Apollonia in the evening.
* To spend the day at beaches and lighthouse Apokofto.
* Visit the Monastery Chrysopigi.
Special local habits of Sifnos
1. Sifneikos marriage, with a huge party ritual, before and after the ceremony where a prominent role, except the bride and groom have the best man and maid of honor. Features two takimia (couples) musical instruments, playing two days and nights, the sesame offered in diamond pieces, the dance of the bride, as the dance required all the guests and the hundreds of impromptu poetry saying, greetings, all day and all night
2. The name days that are social and cultural event where half the island moves to hope the other half, and where most of the time overnight becoming a feast with traditional instruments, songs and dances.
3. Halloween. Particular color have Halloween, which, if not mediate something sad, the whole island glentaei until Clean Monday, consuming tons of wine. Throughout the carnival, which masquerades move in Sifnos topolalia said, 'camels' with much inspiration and humor.
4. The revithada Sunday and Easter mastelo is practice for the family of Sifnos. Every Saturday will be ready the skepastaria, a clay pot with the chickpeas neighborhood bakery and baked until Sunday morning. Every Saturday a large formal dining Easter is mastelo, that lamb in the oven in a clay pot. Both have a distinct flavor due to particularly difficult recipes and very slow baking oven.
5. The burning of Judas, the Easter Lolopanigyro in February, the Sun-Vorias the last Sunday of Carnival and Lent the playing of 'ninepins', are specific practices of Sifnos with ancient roots that are not erased by time and progress.
Sifnos stays true to its traditions and keep the traditions such as the panygira, local carols, marriage lolopanigyrou, dance kyr the north wind, the carnival dances with kamilosies (masquerading), the carnival, the paste, etc. In most churches and monasteries are at least once a year with the traditional festivals shared dinners reminiscent of the ancient "focus" and the New Year "loves". Necessarily include traditional revithada or meat with pasta or potatoes or cod with potato salad, wine, music and traditional violin and lute. Festivals that coincide with the season and committed on the eve of the celebration are:
May or June (date varies): Ascension-Chrisopigi.
July 19: Prophet Elias.
July 26: Aghios Panteleimon in Cheronissos.
September 2 and August 31 in San Simeon.
September 5 Commander of the Deep.
September 13 at the Lighthouse of the Cross and Choni.
September 14 Agios Nikitas in Seladi
Accommodation in Sifnos
Rhodes has a large variety of hotels, rooms, apartments, studios and villas where you can stay and enjoy your holidays in Sifnos. Some of the best hotels in Sifnos can be found in Apollonia and Kamares. Enjoy your stay in this charm Greek island. For cheap hotels in Sifnos you can send us your request by email.
Sifnos Ferry Tickets : Online ferry ticket reservations for Sifnos Island. Cheap boat tickets to Sifnos.